ABOUT GRADIF-KENYA FOUNDATION:
GRADIF-Kenya whose vision is to see an Empowered Society actively engaging in sustainable development, is a Public National Community Development Foundation founded in the year 2006 and legally registered with the registrar of companies as a Company Limited by guarantee with no share capital in May, 2007 and issued with Certificate No C. 139158. The Goal of the Foundation is to support the improvement of life of vulnerable and marginalized community groups in selected poverty stricken and resource scarce areas in Kenya focusing more on rural areas and urban slums. To promote effectiveness, wide reach and sustainability of projects/programs, GRADIF-K works with organized, legally registered community groups, structures and institutions of learning in the implementation of age-appropriate, rights based, gender sensitive, cultural responsive and environmentally friendly community based poverty reduction programs. All of the GRADIF-K programs are geared towards contributing towards the Kenya’s Vision 2030 Goals, realization of Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) and Education for All (EFA), all in contribution to the realization of the wellbeing of children and other key targeted groups in Kenya.
The Niche of GRADIF-Kenya is mainly through working with legally organized community groups who are the key drivers of the development agenda. The key Broad areas of our work include; Democracy, Governance and Citizen Participation/Engagement, Economic Livelihoods, Social Protection, and Organizational Capacity Development. GRADIF-K has a gained wide experience in the implementation of outlined projects in the past 10 plus years in various counties in Kenya with commendable results. Over time, GRADIF-K has developed healthy and cordial working relationships with the relevant County and National Governments of Kenya departments, Community Based Development& other Civil Society Organizations including, International Development agencies and institutions, Public and Private Foundations, the corporate/private sector, FBOs, Youth groups, development partners including development agencies and Non-Governmental Organizations, Research &learning institutions. GRADIF-Kenya is currently working with 384 plus CSOs and related grassroots development structures in 8 Counties in Kenya.
GRADIF-K areas of operation:
GRADI-K has a mandate to serve Communities Nationally but most of our activities are concentrated in the following regions in Kenya: Central, Eastern and Rift Valley regions in Kenya. The Key Counties targeted are: Kiambu, Muranga, Tharaka Nithi, Embu, Nyeri, Meru, Laikipia and Isiolo.
Vision and Mission:
Vision: GRADIF-Kenya envisions an Empowered Society actively engaging in sustainable development.
GRADIF-K’s Mission is to facilitate the empowerment of grass root marginalized communities through Capacity development, Advocacy & Policy Influencing, Networking, Collaborations, Partnerships & Linkages building so that they can actively engage in sustainable development guided by equal opportunities for all.
Orphaned and Vulnerable Children (OVC) from 0-18 years through age appropriate programming, Women & Men, The Youth-both females and males, Farmers Organizations, Persons Living With Disability (PWDs), Community vulnerable and marginalized groups, Rural and the Urban poor.
GRADIF-K identified the following as the key strategic issues arising from our review of the environment both internally and externally.
- Citizens’ participation in the undertaking and decision making in all matters affecting their lives including implementation of the new constitution and the devolution governments’ plans.
- Economic empowerment for marginalized groups.
- Community access and utilization of local resources.
- Weak household safety nets.
- Violation of Children’s rights.
- Strategic partnerships in development.
GRADIF-K has adopted the following strategic approaches in all that it does. These are mainstreamed in all program engagements.Capacity Development (both technical and Materials support)
- Advocacy and Influencing policy.
- Networking, Collaborations and Partnerships.
Thematic areas of focus:
GRADIF-K’S work is categorized into four strategic themes outlined below
- Democracy, Citizen’s participation and governance:
Citizens Participation and Governance implies the involvement of citizens in a wide range of policy making activities and processes, including the determination of levels of service, planning, budget priorities, establishment of performance standards and the acceptability of physical construction projects in order to orient government programs toward community needs, build public support, and encourage a sense of cohesiveness within neighborhoods. Citizen engagement in devolved government’s systems implies the involvement of citizens in planning, decision-making process of the County Governments’ measures and/or institutional arrangements so as to increase their influence on service delivery, equitable distribution of devolved resources, enactment of favorable policies and programmes to ensure a more positive impact on their social and economic lives. It entails sound public sector management (efficiency, effectiveness and economy), accountability, exchange and free flow of information (transparency), and a legal framework for development (justice, respect for human rights and liberties).
Economic Livelihoods: The key programs supported under this thematic area include: Entrepreneurship, Agriculture & Livelihoods, Natural Resource Management, Environmental Conservation/Climate Change Mitigation & Adaptation, Agri-Business capacity development and livelihoods, Gender in Value Chain promotion among others.
- Social Protection: Under this thematic area, we are supporting Sexual Reproductive Health Rights (SRHR) Project& Family Planning (FP), Human Rights, Early Childhood Care Development & Education Programme, Child Protection, Women, Girl Child andYouth Social-Economic empowerment, Public Health & Sanitation promotion, strengthening the family safety nets and psychosocial support. Facilitating Capacity and economic development of youth groups on leadership and Governance, devolution, Social accountability and social audits, entrepreneurship and wealth creation, business planning and Management, agriculture, agribusiness & livelihoods, peace building and conflicts prevention, advocacy and policy influencing, reproductive Health Rights and HIV Aids, resource mobilization
- Organizational Development: We are strengthening both the organizational and institutional capacities of GRADIF-K and the affiliated grassroots CSOs for effective & quality service delivery towards realization of sustainable development.
Development Networks Affiliation:
GRADIF-K is a member of the following National and international development networks:
- Sustainable Food Systems (SFS) Programme.
- Kenya Climate Justice Women Champions (KCJWC).
- Kenya Climate Change Working Group (KCCWG)
- Tharaka Nithi CSOs in Health Network
- Health Rights Advocacy Forum (HERAF)
- Elimu Yetu Coalition (EYC) (Our Education Coalition)
- Kenya Organic Agriculture Network (KOAN)
- IFAD/KCEP Partners programme initiative
- The Girl Child Network (GCN)
- Kenya Climate Finance Governance Network
- Devolved Governance Non State Actors (DEGONSA)-Also represented in the network Sub-Committees
- The Institute of Social Accountability (TISA) devolution working group
- Child Poverty Rapid Response Committee (CPRRC), a Sub-Committee of Convention Of Child Rights (CRC), Monitoring group Kenya
- Tharaka Nithi Education Network
- Tharaka Nithi County Education
- Tharaka Nithi Cso Network
- Kenya Association of Professional Counsellors (KAPC)
- Agri-profocus Network
- Kenya Alliance of Residents Association (KARA)